Wednesday 1 July 2009

Weekend Bus Tour

Last weekend I went on a coach tour with my friend Jas to Issan, the north eastern part of Thailand. We covered a lot of ground maybe 1000 km, visiting Nakon Panom, Mukdahan, and Khorat and 12 temples on the way. My Thai friends do not have much holiday and they have to work a lot to earn money, so a lot of travelling is at night. We left on Friday night returned late Sunday night and slept on the coach. The coach has two drivers and a bed for one of the drivers so they can drive continuously. The reclining seats are quite comfortable to sleep, generally the roads are good and eye shades, ear plugs and blow up pillow to support the neck is really helpful, except on this trip I forgot the pillow!. Forty eight hours on a coach does not seem like a holiday but it was really interesting and cheap, only 950 baht (£18 per person).
I have started to make a separate account of temples as they are so many, varied and interesting, I will publish more on this later.
I have used this trip to put together something about the development of the country which I find really interesting, particularly the influence of the Japanese and the Chinese. One of the places we visited is Mukdahan on the Mekong River which is an important trade link between Thailand and Loas/Vietnam.

No comments:

Post a Comment